Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Dienstag, 12. Juni 2018

Chapter 3: Pen and ink drawing, part 2


Finally! Here are my collected drawings. First it took some determination to dare and draw lines that I could not erase, but I soon began to lose the fear of making a mistake and enjoyed it.

01_Art Pen auf Universal klein 01_laviert_Korr_klein
1. Art Pen and water soluble ink on cartridge paper, A4

Wash with water and watercolour, some details with pastel
02_Feder auf Kraft klein 02_laviert klein
2. Dip pen, permanent ink on Kraft paper, A5

My neighbour had adapted this old bathroom stove as a smoking oven for ham and such things. Meanwhile he has replaced it. I am glad I managed to draw and photograph the old stove before it was trashed.

I was so taken with the stove that I left out all the things on the shelves. (Also I was too cold.)
Wash with water, pastels and gouache for highlight. I preferred pastels on the coloured papers because I could control the colours better.





For some time the weather was freezing, so I did drawings 3-6 from photographs.


It was a way to keep doing something, but I felt I copied the photographs instead of drawing the real thing and make my choices.
03_Parker Füller auf Stellfeld-Heft klein 03_laviert und Stift klein
3. Fountain pen with water soluble ink on Kraft paper, A5

This old zinc bucket also seems to have been trashed since I took the photograph.


Watercolour wash, highlighted with white gouache and pastel.
04_Pitt artist pen auf Kraft klein 04_laviert_klein
4. Pitt artist pen on Kraft paper, A5
This pen forces me to make bold strokes, to simplify and not to worry too much about details. Good training for me!
Wash with watercolour, highlight with pastel 

I first thought I would leave this drawing in black and white, but with rust and mould there are surprising colours on the old metal.

05_Rapidograph_auf Stellfeld_klein 05_laviert_klein
5. Calligraphy pen, permanent ink, on old cartridge paper, A5

I felt drawing from the photograph had an advantage here with all the details in the figure of the little cock. It is only as high as my middle finger.

 
with watercolour wash




06_Krönchenfeder_Bister_Kraftpapier_klein 06_laviert_klein
6. Dip pen with permanent ink on Kraft paper, A5
Here also I was glad to draw from the photograph. Drawing the leaves and rubble was much less intimidating.


With the coming of spring drawing outside was enjoyable again.
Watercolour wash, highlights with pastel pens


07_Füller_Kraftpapier_klein 07_laviert_Farbe_klein
7. Fountain pen on Kraft paper, A5

I find this old zinc bathtub very charming, but I have never seen it being used, not even for my neighbours’ grandchildren.

water and watercolour wash
08_Pitt Artist Pen auf Universal klein 08_laviert_klein
8. Pitt artist pen on cartridge paper, A4

Watercolour wash.

This drawing and no 1 are the only ones on white paper. I feel they add a lighter mood to the other drawings done on old discoloured paper or Kraft paper.

09_Rapidograph auf Kraft klein 09_laviert klein
9. Calligraphy pen with permanent ink on Kraft paper, A5


watercolour wash
10_Art Pen auf Stellfeld klein 10_laviert_mehr_Farbe_klein
10. Art pen with watersoluble ink on old writing paper

I just love this old rabbit cage. The metal fastenings for the locks are interesting.
watercolour wash

I had drawn the leaves of the nettles black, so I used soft pastels to add some green. They look so different on black and light background. Something to explore.



11_klein 11_laviert_klein
11. Art pen on old cartridge paper

This is the new smoking oven. With wheel of the garden hose above it looks like the bottom half of an old sorceress on a kind of throne.


Washed with watercolour, it appears even more sinister.
12_Art Pen auf Acryldruck klein 12_mit Pastell klein
12. Art pen with water soluble ink, A4

I had printed this sheet of cartridge paper some time ago from a gelli plate with acrylics. 
As the acrylics will not take a watery wash I coloured the drawing with pastels, but I did not want to cover the colours of the print entirely. I think they contribute to a feeling of age and use.


13_klein 13_laviert_klein
13. Art pen with water soluble ink on Kraft paper, A5



14 All my drawings so far
 
watercolour wash and pastel pencils
I think it's time to have a break here, although the more I draw, the more things draw my eye, for instance
- the metal fastenings of the rabbit cage
- the nettles and the blackberry branches which cover the wooden walls
- the textures of wood, logs or chopped firewood
- lots and lots of circles, whole or shown in part, en face or in perspective: the ball, the chair, the meter on the old bathroom stove, the wheels of the garden hose and the folded garden chair, the chopping block, the hole of the bird house…

Posting is always helpful as a step back to look from another angle. I feel I should have used a greater variety of papers, pens and marks. I see that I have focused more on the motifs the garden shed offers than on my materials. 
 
Fortunately, I can always go out and draw some more 😊

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen