Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Dienstag, 30. Januar 2018

Chapter 3: Pen and ink drawing – part 1



6.3.1 Mark making with pens
Pens used:
  • fountain pens and a sketching pen (Rotring Art Pen F)
  • dip pens with a metal nib and a glass nib
  • markers: Pitt Artist Pen, Stabilo point 88, a ballpoint pen (blue)
  • Rotring rapidograph
  • biro
Inks and colours:
  • water soluble inks in the fountain pens
  • Schmincke acrylic ink in primary colours
  • walnut stain
  • shellac ink, black and bistre
  • watercolour
Marks:
First I used my pens and inks on universal cartridge paper, 160 g/square meter, in boxes made with the template from Module 4.
The scans with the drawings are on the left, the washes on the right.
P 1


           P 1a                           
P 1: The Art Pen leaves a very strong line (below left). Washing over it gives a dramatic effect.
The washes are done with walnut stain (brownish) and acrylic ink in yellow and red, partly layered.
The water washes are in the middle.

P 2 P 2a
P 2: Usually I find felt tips too scratchy, but the Pitt Artist Pen is very smooth and lovely to draw with.

P 3 P 3a
P 3a: I like the muted, even dirty shades here. The shellac ink is not entirely waterproof.

P 4 P 4a
P 4: The stippling below right reminds of signs on maps for wood and moorland.

P 4a: Bistre and walnut stain give a very similar colour. The orange wash is watercolour.
P 5 P 5a
P 6 P 6a
P 7 P 7a
P 7: Upper  row right: the grid is also a kind of cross hatch – a very regular one.


P 8 P 8a
P 9

In between I scribbled on thick cartridge paper I had used as a desk cover.
P 9 is Pitt Artist Pen over thick blobs of acrylic.
P 11 is Rapidograph over a wash, P 10 is shellac ink drawn with a metal nib.
P 11 P 10
P 12 P 12a
P 13 P 13a
P 17 P 17a
P 17: In the left box I used the walnut stain as ink with the metal nib and the newly bought black Pitt Artist pen on the right. The lower boxes are waiting  to be filled.

P 14 and 15, below: Samples on brown Kraft paper.
The colours turn out even more muted and warmer than on the white paper.
P 14 P 14a
P 15 P 15a
P 16 and 16a: This sample is done on pages from an engineer’s sketchbook, from around 1910. The paper is a little stronger than ordinary copy paper. It is slightly discoloured but has kept well. I like it a lot for its aged quality, and I love the old writing and the swirls the engineer put in between his numbers. The paper is not too thick, so I have to go easy on the washes.
P 16 P 16a

This was fun! I feel I started a collection of reference material. This activity also seems to loosen the hand as a warm up for drawing. So I hope the weather improves enough for me to be able to draw outside around the garden shed.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen