Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Samstag, 3. Mai 2014

Chapter 2: Creating movement with line

 

Activity 3.2.1 Draw lines to create an illusion of movement

 

2-01 calligraphy pen


1. parallel lines – calligraphy pen





2. varied spaces – calligraphy pen
2-02 ink roller, fineliner

3. wavy line – my ink roller needed a new cartridge half way through




4. angled steps – fineliner
2-03 fountain pen

5. zigzags
I used my fountain pen from here on until drawing no 10.




6. starting with small bulges
2-04 fountain pen

7. strong wavy line






8. random circles
2-05 fountain pen

8 a. random spirals
They do not change the overall impression, but add little hollows or tips, depending on which way you look.



9. rectangles – they are too large
2-06 fountain pen
10. occasional bumps







11. lines ending in spirals

I wanted to try stronger lines with varied breadth.
 
2-09 ink and broad nib

12. angular lines –  broad dip pen and ink





13.  lines with steps -   broad cola pen and ink
This drawing makes me think of a piece of cloth with running folds.
2-10 ink and cola pen 14. angular lines, broad and narrow lines
changing directions - broad cola pen and watered ink
This might look better on white paper with strong ink.

 

3.2.2. Create an op-art picture

 

2-07 notes op-art, calligraphy pen and inktense pencils

I looked up op-art on the internet only after I had made the drawings for the first activity, and also after I had made the coloured drawing (which in my opinion does not work, as the colour does not add to the sense of movement). The exercises interested me so much that I wanted to go on from there for the picture rather than a work of an op-artist.
2-08 ink and broad nib, A4 heavy cartridge paper

2-08 ink and broad nib, A4 heavy cartridge paper
Above: My favourite variation with the spirals, drawn with a broad dip pen and ink on strong cartridge paper.

It works differently depending on which way it is turned.
2-11 ink and cola pen A3 heavy cartridge paper Two further drawings with a really broad cola pen (about 15 mm). They were fun to do, a very meditative activity, but they do not create much of a sense of movement.






2-12 ink and cola pen A3 heavy cartridge paper  

 

Train doodles This activity is ideal for doodling in my small sketchbook during the train ride to work, with colour added later (fountain pen, inktense pencils, 15x15 cm each).

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen