Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Sonntag, 25. Mai 2014

Chaper 3: Kandinsky

3.3.1: Kandinsky research

Information about Kandinsky is abundant in www. I found an extremely helpful website, poulwebb.blogspot.com. Artist Poul Webb shows lots of Kandinsky paintings in chronological order which gives the opportunity to see the development from Kandinsky’s beginnings to his abstract art, quite fascinating. (This blog is a wonderful source for paintings from a lot of artists.)

 

 

3.3.2

Look for elements used by Kandinsky in his pictures

I printed some of the abstract paintings in the above album and took notes.

 

Create your own work in the style of Kandinsky

This is my painting, done on A3 heavy cartridge paper. The colours are acrylics: ultramarine blue, lemon yellow, carmine red and black. If time permits I would like to have another try and use a softer colourway and changes of colour within the geometric shapes.

 

After Kandinsky

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The painting “Freudian slip” (see below) gave me the initial idea for the arrangement of the yellow shapes on blue ground. The strong wavy line appears in other Kandinsky paintings as well. I like the contrast of this snaky line to the rectangles and triangles. The small black waves in my painting may be an echo of Paul Klee (I love his work!) I used the black lines with the idea to connect and comment the geometric shapes.

kandinsky-freudian-slip-997x1024

 

I used to think: “composition is difficult”. But in this activity it followed almost logically from the elements used.  The restriction to primary colours, geometric shapes and black lines was good. Once I stopped feeling limited in my choices the process became playful.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen