Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012

Chapter 4: Shape observations

 

The task is to explore the shapes of the wall with ripped or cut paper shapes in contrasting colours or black and white.

The photograph of my wall compared to page 36 in my sketchbook with cut paper shapes. I used acryl coloured paper on a ground with a pastel tint. It took me some time to get the size of the stones approximately right – a very good exercise!  

 

Drystone Wall clouded Page 36

The gaps show a nice geometry of triangles in various shapes – a pattern using these shapes comes to my mind.

On page 38 I assembled shapes I had torn by hand. The result is less accurate but in a way it feels closer to the wall. I like the rough edges of the torn shapes.

 

Page 38

In both
studies the large quiet areas contrast with the areas where the stones are broken into smaller pieces, although this contrast is clearer in the study with the cut paper. I think this gives a good idea for the strip weaving in chapter 9.
 

 

Page 37 Page 37: Again I asked myself if the same information could not be got by using the computer. So I reduced the colours to almost black and white and reversed them.

Fine lines and textures appear in the gaps and connect the stones.

Otherwise the visual information on the shapes is similar, but by doing it by hand I have come to know them much better than if I had only looked at them.

Some of the leftovers from the torn sheet were just too delightful to throw away!
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen