Welcome

Welcome and have a look at my work for Distant Stitch - Creative Sketchbooks, Module 6, with tutor Lizzy Lewis

In this module I will make a free-standing book on a theme chosen by me - Close to my heart.

Sonntag, 29. Juli 2012

Chapters 8 & 9 Colour stitchery and design exercise

 

Colour stitchery

 

Page 51 I started with the stitches suggested in the module and tried different approaches. Rice stitch is really very versatile and fun to stitch.

I also enjoyed to break up the regular canvas grid with raised chain stitch (found in Jan Beaney’s book “The Art of the Needle”).

 

Page 52 Page 53

The possibilities seem to be endless. I feel I just scratched the surface.

 

Desigh Exercise

1. Colouring papers

I mostly used oil pastels and wax crayons in various colours to make marks and washed the papers with inks and watercolour.  Some of my original rubbings were also put to use.

Following a technique described by Gwen Hedley in her wonderful book “Drawn to Stitch” I coloured sheets with light pastel and a layer of wax crayons/oil pastels. Another sheet was put over it and rubbed very firmly with a ballpoint pen. The wax crayon/oil pastel layer is lifted off by the pressure and forms interesting marks, and you end up with something like a positive/negative image. I also put a colour wash on these sheets.

The washes were made with a brush, a sponge, a sponge roller and in one instance with tea leaves and ground wet coffee rubbed on the paper.

 

Coloured papers Some of my coloured papers.

Bottom right is one of the sheets treated with the lifting-off technique mentioned above. I had not pressed firmly enough.

 

2. Colour weaving

 

This has been the most difficult task for me until now. I spent two afternoons working at  interpretations of my piece of wall and saved a few in my sketchbook.

 

Page 55 Page 59

 

Weaving seemed extremely difficult, as the stones are all different from each other. What I did was more cheating than weaving, in fact it is more of a collage.

 


Page 57
Of all the trials I made these are the ones I like most – after leaving them lying around for a little while.
Page 56 Page 56: This one is very simple, but it makes me think of a couple of  ways to interpret it in textiles. Perhaps a simple design that triggers my imagination is the best choice?

 

Perhaps I am too stuck with the photograph.

 

Woven papers I played with leftover pieces to get away from a “literal” interpretation.
Page 60 Page 60: A geometric design with cut strips. My idea was to weave the stones  rather than the wall.

The scan has lost some of the textural interest of the papers.
My wall in clouded weather with muted colours For comparison: my wall again.

 

At this moment my decision would be to start working on the simple design of page 56. I still like it most, although the geometric design (page 60) also appeals to me. But I am really uncertain and would appreciate advice. I seem to be going in circles here.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen